HARRY G. ROBINSON, III
TRG Consulting Group
African American AIA Fellow
SAY IT LOUD - Washington DC Exhibitor
Washington DC Based Designer
Planning during the early 1980s, he established an international study program and created an award-winning career program in design for area high school students. During Robinson’s tenure, Howard would become a center for dialogue and research on African American architects.
HARRY G. ROBINSON, III
Architect and urban design professor Harry Robinson, FAIA, was honored with the Whitney Young Award for bringing new recognition to the contributions of African American architects. As dean of Howard University’s School of Architecture and Planning during the early 1980s, he established an international study program and created an award-winning career program in design for area high school students. During Robinson’s tenure, Howard would become a center for dialogue and research on African American architects. In 1989 he organized the Howard University Leadership Awards in Architecture program. Before joining Howard’s faculty, Robinson directed Morgan State University’s graduate program in city planning. During his six years there, he developed new professional degree programs in architecture, landscape architecture, planning, and urban design. From 1968 to 1972, Robinson was project architect for the D.C. Redevelopment Land Agency’s Shaw and 14th Street urban renewal areas, the epicenter of the 1968 civil rights disorders in the nation’s capital. Robinson holds a master’s degree in urban design from Harvard University, as well as a master’s in city planning and B.Arch from Howard. A Vietnam veteran, he was awarded the Bronze Star as well as a Purple Heart.
Year of Elevation:
Featured Project Name:
Shaw Schoo; Urban Renewal District
Featured Project Location:
Featured Project Completion Date:
1955 - 2019
Role in Featured Project:
Featured Project Description:
NCPC’s urban renewal authority derived from 1945 legislation enacted by Congress. The District of Columbia Redevelopment Act established the Redevelopment Land Authority (RLA). The Redevelopment Act empowered NCPC, as the planning agency for all of Washington, to act. Between 1955 and 1972, NCPC prepared, adopted, and certified 12 plans for implementation by the RLA for the removal and rehabilitation of blighted, decayed, and deteriorating areas of the city.